Saturday, September 21, 2019

Week 5: Had to go Home:(

Hello everyone. 

As the subject says I unfortunately had to go back home, to Toronto. I'll give details later though and talk about about what happened this week before first.

Schedule is pretty normal. Study french and gospel. That's set. But one thing was unique about this week's study... Tahitian! We haven't started formally learning it, But Davis and I have started self teaching. It is hard. I've been trying to memorize "dear heavenly father" for like 2 days to start prayers. Its "E to matou Metua Here i te Ao ra". I'm getting pretty stressed, but I know that through God we can recive tamahanahana (comfort) and help. As we were practicing our pronunciation was corrected by a couple of really nice tahitians who overheard. One is serving in... Toronto!!!! The second tahitian going to toronto. What a life we are in. 

Music is very limited here. Thankfully my mom sent an ipod with lit religious music. Like really good Christian stuff. It's making life better. We also chant French phrases while trying to memorize and moshed to "le livre de Mormon temoigne de Jésus-Christ" (the book of mormon testifies of Jesus Christ). Talk about rejoicing in a message! It was poppin though to be honest. 

We also held our first sandal day! As tahitian missionaries we get to sport stylish, breathable and comfy sandals! It's fun flexing on the other missionaries with them. I got so many jealous stares.

So now for Toronto. I had to return home today due to passport issues. It's a long story. I was sad to leave and say goodbye to the people I've become so close to. Thankfully it was only for a day and I'm on my way back to Utah right now! I took an overnight flight through New York arriving in toronto 9 am today (friday), went to a consulate, ate shawarma and shawarma poutine, packed a carryon full of snacks, warmer clothes, stuff for sister Clement and  other fun items. We then headed to the airport for 3. What a tiring adventure. I've had so many conversations thanks to the handy missionary tag I got to wear though. I also waited at the gate going back to utah with a missionary flying home from his misison in Winnipeg, and a girl from brampton heading to the MTC! New friends.

I now have my visa though so The trip was worth it. One step closer to TAHITI!

I hope I tricked some people that I went home for good😜

Back to MTC business. We have weekly devotionals with keynote speakers and then reviews afterwords. This weeks was about missionary work, as most are, and the feelings have really stuck with me. After the meeting and review I was just so so happy and full of the spirit. The feeling where   you're holding back a laugh and are constantly smiling. Like excitement but with no event specifically to be excited for. Just literally the best mood. Missionary work is truly a joyous work. We can bring joy to others and get the same pure joy in return. The gospel is a source for lasting powerful joy. I've felt it countless times. No matter what difficult time we're in, we can always look forward to that happiness. I find so much joy here. 

Go do something that makes you truly happy this week, enjoy the feeling, and remember it when times are tough. 

Love,

Elder Fiore 

1. Tahitian going to Toronto pt 2


2. Sandal gang


3. Us holding THE MOON


4. Lunch with SIs Clement and Thais


5. Me at home


6. Me with my mom saying goodbye again


*******
So as Zach said, he had to come home. He needed to return the temporary passport that he had to get to get to the MTC in August as his real passport was inaccessible because it was with the French Consulate getting his French Visa for Tahiti. After multiple discussions with people at Passport Canada and Canadian consulates, it became apparent that the only way he could hand in his temp passport and get his real passport (that I had picked up at the Toronto French consulate office last week when it was ready) re-activated was to return to the exact office where his temp one had been issued. And that was that, he had to come home for the day. I picked him up, we drove straight to the office and a couple of nice women put him in the "urgent line" and we were in and out in 15 min! All that travel for 15 min! We got too spend a nice few hours together - I just listened to his stories, how much his French has improved and we creatively packed a bunch of Canadian Snacks for him to bring back to the MTC. It was easier saying good bye to him at the airport because he was excited to go back!! He missed his buddies and routine. It makes it so much easier to say good bye when you see how happy they are!!! One more moth before he heads to Tahiti. 

Here are some extra pics of the MTC life and a few from his visit:




The Canadians:



Heading out on his adventure back home!


Many hours later, but safe and sound:


The drive into the city


Heading to the office hoping for no lines!



The passport office - making it all official :


As we were pulling onto our street, we heard the Prime Minister was on the Danforth close to us so we went to go see if we could see him. We juts missed him but saw our good friend and neighbour and she took a picture of us!


I made him stop for the traditional "back to school photos!" before coming into the house, lol:



What was he craving? Schwarma and schwarma poutine!



He was amused by our countdown calendar for him and got to complete the circle for today!


I did lots of this:


Then time for goodbyes:





The security woman saw me (and the other missionary mom that was standing beside me ) all teary and hovering by the door trying snap pics and take a video so she asked us if our kids were going away for a long time?? I smiled through my tears - two years.... That's not so long in the grand scheme of things.... Godspeed my boy....

***If you have questions about what a mission even is - then you might want to check out 
some Q&A's at our family blog Raising Flowers and Skids






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Homecoming!

 To say we were excited is an understatement! I spoke with Zach that morning before he left: We were all anxiously awaiting at the airport! ...